The AFL W will stage its first-ever double-header at Ikon Park on Saturday, with the Collingwood-Melbourne game moved from Olympic Park Oval.
The match will be now be held at 7.40pm AEDT on Saturday night, in the aftermath of the Carlton- GWS match, which was to be held at 5.05pm but will now start at 3.35pm.
While the matches, which feature 15 minute quarters, are usually completed within a two-hour timeframe, broadcast and crowd concerns forced the AFL to create a two-hour break between the games.
Last week’s AFLW opener between the Magpies and the Blues at the same ground was a lockout after nearly 25,000 people packed the former AFL venue.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan was forced to apologise to fans who were locked out of the ground.
However, the AFL is not anticipating a similar issue on Saturday, with the Blues hosting the GWS, who have a negligible following in Melbourne.
“We feel Ikon Park is the best available option to host Saturday’s matches,” the AFL’s general manager of game and marketing development Simon Lethlean said.
“Following the great attendances of the opening round last weekend, we want to make sure those who wish to attend the AFL Women’s matches this weekend can do so,” he said.
“We have worked closely with the venue, clubs and the broadcasters to ensure the changeover period between the two matches is appropriate.”
“I encourage footy fans to take public transport to the games as there will be no public parking on the Princes Park lawns due to Carlton’s family day activities.”
Lethlean has confirmed that the AFL is still considering venue options for the Grand Final, which is set to be held on the Saturday afternoon of the first week of the AFL competition on March 25.